Masa is looking for a gifted literacy specialist to join our team for the summer! If you know educators passionate about nurturing a love of reading with their students, please share this job description with them. If you have questions or wish to apply, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.
We have a few exciting community workshops and events coming up that we wanted to share with all of you:
- Thursday, March 23rd, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop on tenant rights with New Settlement CASA
- Thursday, March 30th, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop on Common Core math for 2nd- and 3rd-graders, designed by our very own After-School Program Coordinator
- Thursday, April 6th, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop for parents about adolescent sexual and reproductive health, offered by a health educator form Lincoln Medical Center
We’re excited to bring this valuable information to Masa families. All these workshops are open to the community. Hope to see you at Masa sometime soon!
At Masa, we are thrilled to announce that we are beneficiaries of the New York Community Trust’s Liberty Fund. The goal of the Trust is to preserve constitutional protections for City residents. Masa’s work will focus on building knowledge of immigrant rights among underserved Latino immigrant communities, as well as connecting people to trustworthy legal services through consultations and referrals. Having begun this immigrant justice work immediately in response to the election, we are extremely excited to scale it up and bring this vital information to families across the Bronx!
Masa is hiring bilingual Early Education Specialists to join our team! Click here for the job description and to learn about how to apply.
There’s no school today because of the snowstorm, but staff are still hard at work here at Masa! We have several exciting events, workshops, and courses coming up:
- Tuesday, February 14th, 11 AM – 1 PM: Early literacy workshop in Spanish for parents of children ages 0-5 offered in partnership with the Hispanic Federation (Flyer — 2nd page is in Spanish)
- Friday, February 17, 6-8 PM: Workshop about recent changes in immigration policy and frequently asked questions, with an opportunity to ask questions of an immigration attorney from unLocal in an open forum (Flyer)
- Tuesday, February 21st, 6-9 PM: Our 4th Annual Mix and Mingle for the Love of Education — a fundraising event to support our education programs for immigrant families at Masa. Get tickets here!
- Fridays starting March 3rd, 9:30 AM – 12 PM: We are launching a course called Abriendo Puertas for parents of children ages 0-5 focused on understanding child development, promoting early literacy, and advocating for your children at school (Flyer)
We hope to see you at some (or all!) of these events!
Masa is hiring a Community Organizer for School Justice to help us advance educational justice in the South Bronx community! If you are interested in this position, or know anyone who might be, learn more here.
We’ve had a busy year at Masa, and we’re busily gearing up for next. Read our annual newsletter to find out what we’ve been working on, and how we’re planning to confront the challenges to come in the coming years.
On October 29th, Masa honored deceased loved ones with a community celebration of Día de Muertos. Together, families enjoyed art activities, made frames for photographs of beloved family members and friends, decorated cookies, made bright paper flowers, and contributed to a community altar. You can see some beautiful pictures of this event here!
Today at Masa, we’ll be celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day! Families in our after-school programs will join us today for activities to learn about indigenous languages, art, and cultures, as well as explore their own identities.
Three weeks ago, we also hosted a major celebration of Mexican Independence Day. The event was a great success, thanks to our many sponsors and volunteers — you can see a selection of photos here.
It’s the first day of school for New York City public school students! Masa is also in the back to school spirit, getting ready to welcome students in our educational programs back on September 19th. We are still actively recruiting volunteers for our Masa After-School Program, which operates four evenings a week from 6-8 PM. If you’re able to commit to volunteering one consistent evening per week, consider volunteering! You can apply here.