Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the larger community. We envision a community that is civically engaged, empowered, and educated.
Masa’s community-led integrated model engages the entire family grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership, and power for Mexican, Central American, and Indigenous People. Masa fosters a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of a community programs as well as key senior management responsibilities, particularly with respect to human resources, finance, development, operations and risk management, and data management. The Deputy Director may also have some externally-facing responsibilities, such as meeting with funders or speaking at events.
The Deputy Director works closely with the Executive Director to ensure the programs in their portfolio are fully aligned to Masa’s core mission and values and facilitates analysis of and reflection on program quality. Candidates with non-profit management experience are strongly preferred. A commitment to social justice and a passion for working with partnership with immigrant and indigenous communities is essential.
- Management & Operations (50%): Support Key aspects of organization management, including:
- Operations: Supervise and support Operations Manager in all aspects of day-to-day fiscal and administrative operations, including financial reporting, facilities management, scheduling, etc.
- Human resources
- Support review and renewal of annual benefits and monitor pre-tax deduction schedules
- Oversee and support hiring and onboarding of new employees and ensure continued compliance with current labor laws
- Support the development and implementation of a performance review process for staff
- Process payrolls and maintain PTO schedules
- Prepare and run Key financial reports through QuickBooks for board, staff and funders
- Prepare expense reports for key contracts , including reimbursement-based contracts
- Collaborate with Executive Director and bookkeeping consultants to ensure books are consistently audit-ready including overseeing of monthly financial closeout process and quarterly financial flings
- Data Management and Reporting
- Prepare and run key data reports
- Maintain SalesForce and other information systems
- Draft key sections of grant proposals, grant reports, and other external communications
- Collaborate with vendors/consultants to make updates to Masa’s information systems as needed
- Support special projects and events as needed, including City Council hearings, panel discussions, funder meetings, and other externally-facing events
- Provide support to the Executive Director and carry out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director as needed
- Program Oversight (50%): Oversee a portfolio of community programs (e.g., Masa’s after school tutoring program, supplemental education programming for youth, and family support services), including:
- Support recruiting , hiring, and onboarding of program staff
- Provide staff support and supervision, with a focus on: program planning aligned to organizational and programmatic goals, objectives, and values; reflective practice; and ensuring systems are effective
- Support the development of and monitor program budgets and spending, including for reimbursement based programs
- Oversee program policies, operations, and enrollment, including volunteer recruitment, to ensure compliance with all external regulations, internal policies, and funder requirements
- Ensure program policies and procedures are appropriately and thoroughly documented
- Support staff in planning periodic program and community events
- Prepare reports for Executive Director and/or funder revie
- Fully bilingual in Spanish and English, both oral and in written form
- 5+ years of non-profit management experience, including at least 3 years in a supervisory role • 5+ years of experience working in partnership with Latino immigrant communities; passionate about drawing on families’ strengths and traditions to build strong partnerships with community members • Experience developing and managing program budgets
- Program development experience; familiar with culturally responsive and social justice approaches • Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized and self-managing; able to work independently
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Tech-savvy; excellent Excel and Word skills in particular
- Experience with program evaluation methods and data analysis preferred
- Bookkeeping experience & familiarity with QuickBooks strongly preferred
- Database experience, especially Salesforce, preferred
- Moderate carrying of program materials may be required especially for COVID-19 rapid response work • Position is in-person at Masa’s office in the Bronx; adherence to all COVID-19 safety protocols, including vaccination, is required
- Work schedule will include evenings Monday-Thursday (until approximately 8 pm) and 1-2 Saturdays/month
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please put “Deputy Director” in the subject line.