Masa partners with Mexican and Latin American immigrant children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the larger community. We envision a community that is civically engaged, empowered, and educated.
Masa’s community-led, integrated model engages the entire family, grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership, and power for Mexican, Central American, and Indigenous People. Masa fosters a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
About the Youth Program Coordinator
The Youth Program Coordinator will take the lead in planning and implementing Masa’s youth programming for 16- to 24-year olds at Masa’s center and in select schools. Masa’s Youth Program supports leadership development, college access, family wraparound and social service supports, and cultural engagement among recently-arrived immigrant youth and children of immigrant parents. There is a focus on developing civic engagement skills and leadership abilities among youth in order to build strong advocates for the changes they would like to see
This position is ideal for a creative, dynamic person comfortable engaging with teenagers and young adults and who can ensure high-quality, youth-led, and culturally responsive programming with a unique focus on Mesoamerican and indigenous cultures. Masa takes a strengths-based approach and aims to build leadership capacity of youth so that they have the tools necessary to become their own community change agents. The right candidate will have extensive experience working with youth, facilitating workshops, developing curricula, possess a deep understanding of the unique needs of recently-arrived immigrant youth and children of immigrant parents, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program Implementation and Oversight
- Design curriculum for all youth programs grounded in youth development best practices and tailored to the unique needs of recently-arrived immigrant youth and children of immigrant parents
- Effectively implement the youth program model, including regular group meetings that provide educational, employment, cultural and socioemotional supports, as well as one on-one support, group trips, and a mentorship program
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with partner school staff
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteer mentors and program interns
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, events, and trainings
- Cultivate partnerships with outside organizations to expand range of services available to participants
- Administration and data management
- Fulfill all record-keeping and data-management responsibilities
- Contribute to grant reporting
- Ensure that enrollment is maintained as required by each program
- Implement and follow Masa’s policies and procedures
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- B.A. in education, social work or related field or 3+ years of youth development experience
- 2+ years of experience leading groups strongly preferred
- 2+ years of experience working with new immigrants, especially youth and/or children of immigrants
- 2+ years of experience leading programs and/or engaging in curriculum development
- 1+ years of community organizing experience, including leadership and campaign development, strongly preferred
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment; extremely independent and self-driven • Excellent interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders, from youth to parents to other CBOs
- Excellent administrative, organizational and communication skills
- Computer-savvy; familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- This position is in-person at Masa’s office, and may require local travel to other settings at times (e.g. schools, Masa community events, etc.)
- Light to moderate carrying of program materials is required
- Work schedule will include evenings and occasional weekends. Academic year program includes programming which ends at 7-8pm typically 2 times/week
- COVID-19 vaccination, as well as strict adherence to hand washing, mask-wearing and other COVID-19 safety protocols, is required
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Place “Bilingual Youth Program Coordinator Position” in the subject line of your e-mail. Early applications are encouraged.