At Masa, we’re excited to start our summer program on Monday, July 10th! Our slate of summer programs include literacy, robotics, and youth programming. We’re excited to help children boost their reading skills during the critical summer months, support teams of young people as they collaborate to design robots, and provide a space for youth to connect and build community. We’ll share pictures in the coming weeks and months!
Here at Masa, we’re looking forward to the launch of our summer program, including our literacy and robotics programs. If you’re interested in volunteering for our summer robotics program, check out our volunteer interest form — we are still actively seeking volunteers!
Join the Bronx International High School Dream Team
DREAMING LIVE 2017
A Special Evening to Raise Money for College Scholarships for Undocumented High School Students
Enjoy dinner, student performances, speakers, and a raffle!
Saturday, June 10th, 2017
Masa, 2770 3rd Avenue, 1st Floor, Bronx, NY 10455
For tickets and more information, e-mail Jonah Kaplan-Woolner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here at Masa, we’ve had a busy couple of weeks: on April 29, we had our annual community event for Día del Niño, which over 400 people attended (with the support of more than 50 volunteers!), and, on May 6, we held our annual Mothers’ Day event for families in our after-school programs. We’re looking forward to our last month of school-year programming and transitioning to the summer. In addition, we have a few workshops coming up:
- Thursday, June 1st, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Immigrant Rights’ Workshop (supported by an attorney from Bronx Defenders)
- Tuesday, June 6th, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop on the Designation of Person in Parental Relationship Form (a form to designate someone to manage basic care of your child in event of an emergency) (supported by an attorney from the Legal Aid Society)
- Wednesday, June 7th, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop for parents who have concerns about their child’s development and/or whose children may have classmates with autism or other developmental delays
We hope you’ll join us at one (or all!) of these workshops!
Masa is looking for a gifted literacy specialist to join our team for the summer! If you know educators passionate about nurturing a love of reading with their students, please share this job description with them. If you have questions or wish to apply, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.
We have a few exciting community workshops and events coming up that we wanted to share with all of you:
- Thursday, March 23rd, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop on tenant rights with New Settlement CASA
- Thursday, March 30th, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop on Common Core math for 2nd- and 3rd-graders, designed by our very own After-School Program Coordinator
- Thursday, April 6th, 6-8 PM at Centro Comunitario Tlanezcalli: Workshop for parents about adolescent sexual and reproductive health, offered by a health educator form Lincoln Medical Center
We’re excited to bring this valuable information to Masa families. All these workshops are open to the community. Hope to see you at Masa sometime soon!
At Masa, we are thrilled to announce that we are beneficiaries of the New York Community Trust’s Liberty Fund. The goal of the Trust is to preserve constitutional protections for City residents. Masa’s work will focus on building knowledge of immigrant rights among underserved Latino immigrant communities, as well as connecting people to trustworthy legal services through consultations and referrals. Having begun this immigrant justice work immediately in response to the election, we are extremely excited to scale it up and bring this vital information to families across the Bronx!
Masa is hiring bilingual Early Education Specialists to join our team! Click here for the job description and to learn about how to apply.
There’s no school today because of the snowstorm, but staff are still hard at work here at Masa! We have several exciting events, workshops, and courses coming up:
- Tuesday, February 14th, 11 AM – 1 PM: Early literacy workshop in Spanish for parents of children ages 0-5 offered in partnership with the Hispanic Federation (Flyer — 2nd page is in Spanish)
- Friday, February 17, 6-8 PM: Workshop about recent changes in immigration policy and frequently asked questions, with an opportunity to ask questions of an immigration attorney from unLocal in an open forum (Flyer)
- Tuesday, February 21st, 6-9 PM: Our 4th Annual Mix and Mingle for the Love of Education — a fundraising event to support our education programs for immigrant families at Masa. Get tickets here!
- Fridays starting March 3rd, 9:30 AM – 12 PM: We are launching a course called Abriendo Puertas for parents of children ages 0-5 focused on understanding child development, promoting early literacy, and advocating for your children at school (Flyer)
We hope to see you at some (or all!) of these events!
Masa is hiring a Community Organizer for School Justice to help us advance educational justice in the South Bronx community! If you are interested in this position, or know anyone who might be, learn more here.